The PADI Assistant Instructor course is the first portion of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) and when followed by the Open Water Scuba Instructor course (OWSI) and successful performance at the Instructor Examination (IE), leads to certification as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.
You build upon your abilities to organize and supervise scuba diving activities, while concentrating on developing teaching skills. You learn all this in various ways:
- Knowledge development through self-study, quizzes, lectures and presentations
- Confined water skill review and assessment, workshops and presentations
- Open water workshops, rescue assessment and candidate presentations
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course consists of these sections:
- Module 1: Academic Training·
- PADI Discover Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Programs
- Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
- Teaching Project AWARE and Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialties ·
- Teaching in Confined Water ·
- Conducting Open Water Training Presentations
- Module 2: Independent Study
- Knowledge Development
- Module 3: Practical Application
- Confined Water and Open Water Teaching Presentations
- Standards Exam
- Dive Rescue Skills Assessment
In addition to the responsibilities and duties you already have as a PADI Divemaster, as a PADI Assistant Instructor you can:
- Teach academic presentations under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor
- During confined water dives, present initial skills training under the direct supervision of a PADI Instructor
- Evaluate Open Water Diver surface skills under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor
- Teach and certify PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers under the direction of a PADI Instructor
- Teach Project AWARE Specialty courses
- Teach the AWARE Coral Reef Conservation specialty course
- Conduct PADI Discover Scuba Diving experiences in a pool or confined water
- Conduct PADI Seal Team AquaMissions
- Teach PADI Digital Underwater Photography specialty courses under the direction of a PADI Instructor after earning the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Instructor rating
The PADI Assistant Instructor course takes four days.
Our Assistant Instructor course is £425. This does not include learning materials (cost upon asking due to changing PADI prices).
It is highly recommended that you own all of your own scuba equipment, as familiarity with personal gear improves general scuba diving skills. We can assist with equipment hire if necessary.
Be a PADI Divemaster or hold a qualifying certification from another certification organization
Be at least 18 years old
Have 60 logged dives, including night , deep, and navigation dives
Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months
Hold a valid CPR and First Aid certificate gained within the last 24 months
Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a HSE diving physician within the last 12 months - see useful documents
Come down to the dive centre to collect your homework, see our facilities and meet the team. Alternatively you can complete the homework online using the PADI E-learning system and email us for your booking.
Diver training courses are meant to be fun but like any form of learning you’ll need to invest some time and effort reading and studying before we can get you into the water. It is therefore extremely important you complete you homework before your practical course. Our learning agreement and cancellation policy explains what is required and what to do should you need to postpone or cancel your course.
- Our courses are taught in one location at Wraysbury Dive Centre – no need to travel around at extra expense.
- Because of our facility we are able to give you more in-water time than any other dive school – no need to sit in a classroom all day.
- Our three full time instructors are professionals with combined experience of over 45 years in teaching diving.
- We provide you with the latest and best equipment.
- We work with you to complete the course to ensure that you leave us happy, safe and confident, even if this takes a little extra time. We provide reasonable amounts of extra time at no extra expense.
- We love diving and passing on our diving knowledge to others - we want to ensure that you do too!