Self Reliant Diver
With proper training, equipment and the right attitude to accept the risks involved in independent diving, an experienced diver can responsobly engage in dives without a buddy. Self reliant diving in an adventure activity that is not for everyone but does have its place. If you have the mental discipline to learn and follow self reliant diving techniques, you'll bolster your skills and confidence when diving alone, in a buddy pair or in a team.
Learning how to compensate for situations you would normally handle with a buddy is the focus of the Self-Reliant Diver course. This includes proper dive planning using air consumption rate calculations, life support system redundancy, and independent management of dive emergencies. During three self-reliant training dives, you'll practice:
- Performing an air consumption rate swim to gather information for later calculation.
- Switching to a redundant air supply system during simulated emergency situations.
- Swimming without a mask.
- Navigating to various points, including your exit.
- Using a DSMB.
The course takes two days (four dives). Courses take place during the week and are scheduled as and when required.
The cost of your self-reliant course is £250. This is fully inclusive of your site entry, any kit hire you may need, air fills and course materials.
Come down to the dive centre to collect your homework, see our facilities and meet the team. Alternatively you can complete the homework online using the PADI E-learning system and email us for your booking.
- Our courses are taught in one location at Wraysbury Dive Centre – no need to travel around at extra expense.
- Because of our facility we are able to give you more in-water time than any other dive school – no need to sit in a classroom all day.
- All equipment, air fills, learning materials, logbook, certification and entrance to Wraysbury Dive Centre is included in the course price. There are no hidden extras.
- Our three full time instructors are professionals with combined experience of over 45 years in teaching diving.
- Our self reliant instructors regularly teach and dive in this field.
- We provide you with the latest and best equipment - this includes state of the art camera systems.
- We work with you to complete the course to ensure that you leave us happy, safe and confident, even if this takes a little extra time. We provide reasonable amounts of extra time at no extra expense.
- Most importantly – we love diving and want to make sure that you do too!
What can I do after this course?
You can work towards your the highest level of non-professional diving recognition - the Master Scuba Diver certification. All you need to do is complete five speciality ratings and your Rescue Diver Course.