Advanced Open Water
The PADI Advanced Course consists of five ‘adventure’ dives which are undertaken with your Instructor. Two of these, the Deep and Navigation dives are what PADI call ‘core’ dives and these are compulsory. The remaining three dives are dives of your choosing. Common choices are listed below but chat to your instructor about what choices you are interested in and what is beneficial to you.
- Deep – The lure of the deep. There’s something exciting and mysterious about exploring deeper dive sites while scuba diving. Sometimes it’s a wreck that attracts you below 18 metres/60 feet, and on wall dives it may be a giant fan or sponge. Undertaking this adventure dive (a dive to a depth in excess of 18 metres but no deeper than 30 metres) under the direct supervision of your Instructor will allow you to extend your adventures that bit further down into the underwater realm.
- Navigation – Time to enhance your underwater navigation abilities, using both natural and compass aided navigation. Take the next steps to being the diver who knows where they are going.
- Dry Suit – Doesn’t everyone want to be warmer and dive all year round? This dive introduces you to the correct use of a dry suit, helping you get ready for the fantastic UK dive season ahead.
- Peak Performance Buoyancy – Good buoyancy skills is the basis of everything a diver does in the water. Be the best and learn how to make diving an art form! You too can look graceful and totally controlled with this dive option.
- Night – It is just what it says on the page, a dive during the dark hours. It is an opportunity to view the underwater world in a completely different light.
- Sidemount – This introduction to Sidemount diving helps you to realise your diving isn’t all about walking and swimming with heavy cylinders on your back – there is flexibility and other options.
- Surface Marker Buoy (SMB) – Being able to deploy an SMB in the water confidently and safely is a core skill for any diver anywhere in the world - you need to be visible by other water users. Learn different methods, practice and make it look effortless!
- Wreck – Wrecks are not only fascinating windows to the past but also serve as homes to a large amount of life. This dive will give you an insight into how to orientate and dive a wreck safely. At Wraysbury there are a large number of wrecks to choose to dive including our 100+ year old lifeboat, the Elizabeth Austin and our 737 cockpit.
- Photography – An introduction to one of the most popular underwater activities and opportunity to take a photo of your instructor – smile please.
With the exception of the deep dive, the course is run over two days. When we are happy that you are safe and confident we will organise the deep dive with you. Ordinarily our advanced courses are run on the third weekend of each month. The deep dive wil take place on a separate day during the week. If you need a bespoke course, please just ask.
With the exception of the deep or any boat dives, the advanced course is run at our purpose built centre - Wraysbury Dive Centre. Deep dive and boat diving locations vary and can be discussed with your instructor. You will be responsible for organising travel to all dive locations.
The PADI Advanced Course costs £325. The course can be run on a one to one basis at a cost of £450. The course is fully inclusive of everything you need with the exception of dive site entry for deep dives (if applicable) and any boat fees (if applicable).
- You must be over 12 years of age (10 year old open water divers can undertake the advanced adventurer programme). There is no maximum age.
- Be a qualified open water diver or equivalent.
- Complete the PADI medical statement - see useful documents
Come down to the dive centre to collect your homework, see our facilities and meet the team. Alternatively you can complete the homework online using the PADI E-learning system and email us for your booking.
- Our courses are taught in one location at Wraysbury Dive Centre – no need to travel around at extra expense (with the exception of deep dives for the advanced and deep diver specialities)
- Because of our facility we are able to give you more in-water time than any other dive school – no need to sit in a classroom all day.
- All equipment, air fills, learning materials, logbook, certification and entrance to Wraysbury Dive Centre is included in the course price. There are no hidden extras.
- Our three full time instructors are professionals with combined experience of over 45 years in teaching diving.
- We provide you with the latest and best equipment.
- We work with you to complete the course to ensure that you leave us happy, safe and confident, even if this takes a little extra time. We provide reasonable amounts of extra time at no extra expense. Many other dive schools will charge you for this.
- We love diving and want to ensure that you do too!